a lot goes into maintaining a blog.
from the beginning, it’s deciding what you want to share with others + how you want your little corner of the internet to look. there’s the endless brainstorming + never-ending possibilities. the styling + photography. the writing + the inevitable writer’s block. the unavoidable technology questions + issues. and of course, a lot of social media.
most blogs are a one-man show. they run the business, brainstorm + create the content, manage the social media channels, work with brands, and a lot of times ..all while simultaneously working a full-time job. it’s hard work, there is no doubt about it. and for those times when it becomes a bit exhausting, your inspiration needs inspiring, you need a fresh pair of eyes, or you just want to be surrounded by people that understand ..you go to a blog conference. and this weekend, I am so excited to be attending the GBS workshop in kansas city, MO.
[semi-side note: I recommend this for professionals in any field. it’s easy to get stuck in a routine. it’s really beneficial to see + hear how others around you are operating. we can all learn a lot from each other].
whenever I’m attending a professional event, you can dump out my tote + see these items ..
• a notebook: while the rest of the world has moved on to taking notes on tablets, you can find me in the dark ages ..writing on paper. how you take notes is not important, just write them somewhere.
• a writing utensil: even for you tablet users. there have been stranger places you’ve been asked if you have a pen. these are my favorites.
• business cards: the trick is remembering to actually give them out. keep a few in hand. they’re not doing you any favors at the very bottom of your tote, all the way across the room, under your chair. we’ve all been there.
• water: I keep a water bottle with me at all times, but for conferences ..I also throw into my bag a coconut water. this chocolate flavor is top notch.
• phone + charger: the key is to finding a free plug-in when your battery starts to die, mid-tweet. if you can, a portable charger may really come in handy.
• breath mints: no explanation necessary.
• if you’re a kansas city guru, where should we eat + drink? the husband is traveling with me + we have an entire day to fill with fun.
• if you’re wanting to attend a blog conference, there are many out there. in fact, go blog social is hosting a two-day conference in april. I will be in attendance. you should too. [details here].
please let the weekend be here
now. very soon.